So my 30th birthday was on July 2nd and I got to spend it with some great friends who came into my life over a decade ago. When I was packing I knew I had to include something special for the occasion. Luckily I had something that I had made a few weeks prior. This outfit started out as these pants that I picked up for 50 cents.
When I first saw them I thought this will be an easy peezy refashion. I originally thought I’ll just cut the legs off and turn them into high wasted shorts…… boy was I wrong.
These pants are wonky they have draw strings on the bottom as well as functioning buttons down the leg. They are also really loose and a soft stretchy material, so when I cut them they didn’t look right cause they were baggy.
Are you kidding me? I don’t understand these fashion companies that make oogly things and then expect ppl to spend that kind of money…. anyways I digress. These pants became the bane of my existence for a good week. I could not figure out what to do. I thought maybe a skirt? So I unpicked the crotch, but that didn’t work so I sewed it back into shorts. I took out the waistband, tried to make a wider one, then took it out again. Finally I decided I could do a romper. I opened up one of the legs to use as the new back, but I needed something for the front.
I dug through my scrap box and found another horribly damaged work shirt and thought, this is perfect.
I watched a YouTube video on how to create a bodice and cut out bodice pieces that were useable from the shirt, the inside of the shirt was clean, and sewed it together.
Alas like all my attempts on this outfit I didn’t do it right. I should have connected the bodice were the pink lines were, but I didn’t.
I was able to make it work, but I had to adjust a lot. The other thing I realized that I should have done was sew a liner into the inside of the bodice. To give me more coverage and structure to it. The other thing I should have done was measure better cause the back piece I sewed in was shorter on one side and baggy on the top so I had to figure out a creative way to take some of the baggyness out. So I cut down the middle and sewed it into a V. I then used the button from the pants to attach it in the middle.
I used the biased tape from the side of the pants where the buttons were attached to finish the raw edges on the top of the back piece to clean it up. I attached the top to the shorts by laying them right sides together and the raw edges lined up. I used a zigzag stitch because the pants material is stretchy.
I then made straps out of the pant material and attached them so they would criss-cross in the back. I also had to adjust the fit of the bodice A LOT because of the material and not the greatest measurements. Lastly I felt it need a little something, so I took this ribbon from my stash and hand stitched it to the top of the bodice. I also wanted to make the line look cleaner in the front where the bodice and shorts connected so I made a faux waistband. I sewed some black fabric to the front and then used white thread to mimic the look of the ribbon.
Though this romper took forever, it really taught me a lot of sewing fundamentals. I figure every time I mess up I’m learning how to correct my mistakes, so this one taught me a lot.
Hope you guys liked this one.
P.S. I got some good refashions coming up soon. 😉