I’m still not having luck finding some good colder weather refashions at my favorite thrift store, so this weeks refashion is coming from my scrap bin. Which is a good thing because it is looking less like a bin and more like an overflowing mess. I inherited this scrap from a bunch of scraps my aunt gave me a long long time ago. When we moved into our apartment I looked at it and decided I wanted to do a lobster theme in my kitchen, and use this fabric to make a valence curtain. That was over two years ago. I decided it was about time to give it a shot. Plus the only lobster item I have in my kitchen is this sugar jar, so it was time to give him some friends.
The first thing that I did was lay the fabric out and stare at it for a good ten minutes trying to figure out how in the world I was going to make a curtain from this wonky shaped scrap of fabric.
I started cutting random shaped squares and rectangles, trying to get as many pieces as I could that were of decent size. Then I laid them out like a puzzle piece trying to see the best way the pieces would fit together. When I finally laid them out in a pattern that I thought would work the best, it was time to Frankenstein this curtain together.
I started with the square pieces and the little rectangles. I laid the pieces right sides together and sewed them together with a zig zag stitch, so when I needed to wash it, it wouldn’t fray as bad.
Once I sewed it, I opened it up right sides facing up and had a little seam where I connected the two parts. I used this technique to attach all the small pieces together until I had one long rectangle.
Then I took the top long rectangle and sewed the top of it with a zigzag stitch so it wouldn’t fray then I folded the top to about the mid part of the rectangle so I created a loop for the bar to go through. Then I used a straight stitch to secure the long loop.
Then I used the earlier technique to attach the Frankenstein rectangle to the top loop part.
As luck would have it I picked up this pack of bias tape at the thrift store earlier that day.
Since the red of the bias tape matched the lobsters perfectly I thought it would be a cute way to finish off the bottom of the curtain. I had never used bias tape so I thought it would be good practice. Bias tape is used as an alternative to hemming raw edges together. You basically sandwich the raw edges between the bias tape folds and sew it together so you don’t have to turn over and hem it. I was planning on using another strip of bias tape to cover up some seams at the top of the curtain so I wanted the bottom bias tape to match. I read the instructions a couple of times and decided to do the bias tape a little different so I could get as much as I could on the front.
Bias tape has two folds on the wrong part of the fabric, I took the top part of the fold and lifted it so it would unfold on that side.
I then secured it to the wrong side of the lobster fabric, and then used a straight stitch to sew it together.
Then once it was sewed I flipped it over to the right side of the fabric, essentially pulling the raw edge up and hiding it underneath the tape.
Then I top stitched it with red thread to the curtain. It sounds a little confusing, but hopefully the pictures help. I then laid the second piece of bias tape at the top covering the seams of the panels that had the little rectangles sewed to it and used a top stitch to secure it to the curtain.
I flippen love how this valence turned out, even the bf was really impressed with it and couldn’t believe that I had created this from that piece of fabric. I got myself a pod of lobsters now, and the satisfaction of finally completing this project.
Don’t forget if you like reading my blogs you can now subscribe and every new post will be sent to your email.
Till next time!