Every year my bf’s work throws a big award dinner that is usually themed. This years theme was the 80’s. Per usual I waited until the last minute to look for something to wear. The dinner was on Friday but I wasn’t able to go thrifting till Wednesday. I found a couple 80’s prom dresses, but none that would fit. I decided to look in unconventional places and came across this sleeping bag.
I know what you’re thinking, umm how in the world is that 80’s? Well unzip the sleeping bag and this is what I had to work with.
Lots of purple polyester, a perfect material to craft an 80’s dress. The first thing I did was use my half circle skirt template and cut out two halves of the circle. Normally you would fold the fabric in half and cut it on the fold, but I couldn’t get my template to fit right on it.
I knew I wanted a layered skirt look, so I cut my template in half and made two more smaller skirt pieces.
I wanted to add something between the layers of skirts and remembered that I had bought some blue tulle at the thrift store awhile back. I used the skirts as a template to cut out layers of tulle. Side note tulle on linoluim is super slippery. Cut with caution.
I had cut out two layers per each side, I then hand stitched a basting stitch to hold the layers together so it would be easier to sew them to the fabric.
Then I sewed the two bottom pieces together and the two smaller pieces together on one side so I had two half circle skirts. Then I connected the tulle to both layers.
I originally wanted to do a sweet heart bodice, but I thought it would be less time consuming to do an off the shoulder bodice. I used a t-shirt as a template and drew it out on my wrapping paper. I had given myself extra room when I traced my shirt, since my shirt is stretchy and the fabric isn’t.
I didn’t have enough fabric left to fit my template like this so I cut it in half and would use it to create 4 pieces of my bodice.
I normally wash things before I start refashioning, but I wanted to give myself enough time to start working on this. I thought it would dry quicker if I washed it after I had cut out all of my pieces. So I sewed the pieces of my top together with a basting stitch and then hand washed everything. I went to bed thinking my dress was pretty much done and it would take no time to put together….. I was totally wrong.
Friday morning I woke up tried on my top and could not get it past my shoulders, I apparently didn’t account for the non stretchiness of the fabric as I had originally thought. I quickly thought of rouching up fabric pieces and putting them at the sides to give me extra room. All my purple fabric was in weird small pieces, but there was some usable pink from the front of the sleeping bag that I could use.
To ruche the fabric I stitched a basting stitch along both sides of the long pieces. Then you pull one of the strings, which causes it to bunch up.
I added my ruching to both sides, and it was still tight.
I cut out the front and back seams and added more ruching, and finally I could fit into it. At this point I looked at what I had and thought good lord what am I going to do with this. This was a real make it work moment.
I don’t have too many pictures after this point cause I was quickly running out of time. I connected the skirt to the bodice and sewed over the raw edges of the top of the bodice. I quickly made two purple and pink bows to attach to my dress.
My dress was so awful it was kind of awesome. It definitely fit the 80’s motif.
I had so much fun and actually got a lot of compliments on my dress, little did they know I was wearing a sleeping bag.